Sustainability and Community Engagement
Giving back is part of our DNA
At Ignite Leadership International we are fiercely committed to supporting those in need, and to reducing our footprint wherever feasible. We know we can’t do it all, so we have carefully selected a number of key projects that strongly resonate with us, to focus on.
Our More Than GreenTM approach
Ignite Leadership International embraces a More Than Green™ approach in our business activities:
- We recognize the value of people, planet, and profit as equally valuable facets to business
- We recognize this effort is a work in progress and will conduct semi-annual reviews and report the steps we are taking
- We will communicate on our successes as well as our challenges.
More than just talk, we put dollars on it
We know a lot of businesses today say they are committed. We do more than just that, we donate 5% of our revenues, up to $5,000 annually, to the pre-determined charities and causes we support. So you want work with us, knowing your dollars are hard at work supporting those in need.
The charities we support in 2015
|Canadian Athletes Now||Supporting our Olympic athletes who give us so much pleasure to watch and cheer for! As Olympians they become great leaders, teammates and innovators in business—traits we value and work to enhance with our clients and partners.|
|Soldier On||Supporting the members of our forces when they are injured or disabled. It is those brave men and women who allow us to live in peace and freedom.|
|Alzheimer Society - Canada||In memory of Catherine’s Grandmother who fought this disease. We believe family is so important. As a knowledge-based company, our minds are central to what we offer. Supporting people with this disease, and those near to them, is important to providing quality of life|
|KidSport Canada||Helping all kids to play sport, build leadership and team spirit, and be healthy!|
In 2014 we also made donations to help other charities as part of our business that are not included in the 5% stated above
- The First Tee of Greater Vancouver
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- The Poppy Campaign
Where we volunteer
Just as we mentioned above, we believe in giving back. That’s why we like to volunteer and get involved in communities where we work and live.
|Golf Fore Gals||Volunteer (Social Media|
team, Golf Show Booth)
|Business, Sales & Marketing, |
Professional Advisory Council
for Ashton College
|102nd Grey Cup Festival||Volunteer & Training |
|Burnaby Board of Trade||Membership Committee |
|2010 to 2015|
2009 to 2015
|Access Program, |
Burnaby Board of Trade
|Connector||2012 - 2015|
|Fairleigh Dickinson University -|
|Fairleigh Dickinson University – |
|Contributing Author||2010 to 2012|
|Vancouver Golf & |
|Volunteer - |
|2011 and 2012|
|99th Grey Cup Festival||Volunteer Orientation & |
Training Committee -
Orientation Manual Lead
|99th Grey Cup Festival||Coordinator -- |
Volunteer Viewing Room
|Women's Enterprise |
|Gastrointestinal Society||Board of Directors -|
|2010 - 2011|
|Canadian Society of |
|Board of Directors - |
|2010 - 2011|
Embracing the value of our team members
- We regularly refer members of our team who offer contracted services
- We create and welcome joint venture opportunities wherever possible
- We recognize individual contributions as well as special occasions in the lives of our team members.
- Suppliers are external team members. As part of our team, we aim to use suppliers who also embrace all aspects of our sustainability values.
Reduce, reuse, and recycle
We reduce our carbon footprint in travel by:
- Operating as a virtual office
- Using technology where possible to connect with and support our clients and deliver our programs
- Combine trips where possible to limit travel
- Smarter scheduling of face-to-face meetings
- Use transit where feasible (over 70% of our travel into the downtown core is taken using public transit).
We reduce our energy use by:
- Upgrading our equipment regularly to energy-star rated models
- Turn off monitors when away from our desk
- Turn off lights and equipment when not in use
- Engage energy saving mode for computers when not in use
- Lights have been changed to LED where possible.
We reduce our use of paper:
- We use recycled or sustainable products wherever possible
- We print double sided for most of our documents, unless otherwise requested, or where not possible
- Maintain less paper files and more electronic files.
- Our major print products are printed using a CFC certified shop on paper with a minimum of 83% recycled content
- All paper and cardboard products as permitted (and shredded)
- All plastics as permitted
- All electronics and batteries through charitable organizations that embrace sustainable methods.
- Food waste is limited and avoided where possible. We participate in food waste organics program.
- Office supplies for internal use to maximize their life
- Equipment that is no longer required is donated
- Use reusable cups instead of disposable whenever possible
Our Pledge for A Sustainable Community
As a small business, we are proud to be at an intermediate level.